If I had the liberty to re-name food that has existed for years, I would probably call these, “Balls of Happiness”. I believe, there is nothing more heavenly than sitting in your PJ’s, with your friends, playing monopoly on a cold winter night, with a box full of these and some wine. I paint quite a picture don’t I? What I love about these brigadieros is the texture, so rich, so moist. So dense, yet so soft. Its almost feels like having a tactile experience.
|| This recipe serves 6 ||
- 1 can of sweet condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Chocolate Sprinkles / Almond Shavings / Coconut Shreds (However you wish to cover the balls)
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a nonstick pan. On low heat. I can not stress enough how important using low heat is. (We use a nonstick pan because condensed milk begins to burn really quickly and sticks to the edges).
- While the butter is melting in the pan, in a separate bowl, mix the cocoa powder with 2-3 tbsp of water until its completely dissolved. (This is my secret trick that helps the cocoa powder dissolve in condensed milk, maintain the richness).
- Add the condensed milk to the pan with the melted butter and stir well.
- When the butter and the condensed milk are well mixed, add the chocolate mixture.
- This is the most important part of making these Brigadeiro’s. we must stir this chocolate mixture for a minimum of 20 minutes without stopping and covering the edges. If the stirring stops, the Brigadeiro’s will start to char and burn and effect the taste of the entire mixture.
- We will know the mixture is ready when we see that it stops sticking to the pan, and separates easily for a little while before flowing back together.
- Transfer this mixture into a plate and allow to cool in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cooled, butter your hands and start making little balls with spoonful mixture. Later roll these in garnishing of your choice, Coconut is my personal favorite and place in little cupcake molds and allow to cool.