Ever since I moved to the US, Diwali has been nothing more of an almost sob fest. I am never more homesick than Diwali day. It just breaks my heart to not be with my parents and away from all the festivities. After I am done whining about the day, I start preparing for the mini Diwali parties I host every year. Its almost a schedule : Whine – Organize – Party.
Sadly enough I do not have the time to do all the preparations by myself, like my maa used too. I do make it a point to make Halwa every Diwali morning. My maa would make Halwa, for any auspicious occasion, or every time I would demand home made dessert at short notice. Everytime I feel homesick, Halwa does the trick.
|| This recipe serves 4 ||
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ghee / clarified butter
- 1.5 cup water
- Handful of cashews sliced in half
- In a deep pan cook the cashews and whole wheat flour, until warm.
- Add the Ghee/Clarified Butter and keep cooking until golden brown (using a whisk avoids lumps)
- In a separate pot, boil the water and sugar, to create a syrup.
- Once the water starts boiling, and t he flour is golden brown. Add the water & sugar mixture to the flour.
- Whisk until desired consistency is reached, and the lumps die out.
- Garnish with a few non toasted cashews, and serve warm!