I am leaving for home soon, and as I was talking to my mom, she asked me what I would want to eat as soon as I get home. The answer was very clear in my head, I think she knew it too. All I want was some bhindi (Okra). Before I left for college, I spend several nights cramming. My mom world prepare a large bowl of bhindi and a flask of coffee before she went to bed. I do not remember I thing I studied then anymore, but what I do remember is going into the kitchen to get my bhindi. I would generally eat it with cold yogurt. Till today every time I am home, there is a separate portion made for me, to be eaten with yogurt.
|| This recipe serves 4-5 ||
1 Pound of bhindi (okra)
1 Onion (chopped)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp red chilly powder
1/4 tsp hing powder (Asafoetida)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
salt to taste
- Wash and cut the bhindi in halves.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste. Fry till golden brown.
- Add the cut bhindi with rest off the spices and stir well.
- Cook it on medium flame and keep stirring it occasionally so it does not stick at bottom.